Ximena Pinell, M.D.
Dr. Pinell is a native of the Washington, DC suburbs and takes great pride in caring for patients in this community. She has a special interest in breast reconstruction and was trained in some of the most advanced and innovative techniques at Emory University. She is board certified in both plastic and general surgery.
Dr. Pinell employs various surgical techniques that utilize a woman’s own tissues to recreate the breast, as well as novel approaches to breast reconstruction using implants, such as the prepectoral (above the pectoralis muscle) technique. For women who are candidates for and elect to undergo breast conservation, Dr. Pinell employs a wide variety of oncoplastic techniques that minimize distortion of the breast following lumpectomy.
Dr. Pinell speaks Spanish fluently and enjoys caring for patients who are more comfortable connecting with their physician in their native language.
- Emory University School of Medicine, Plastic Surgery Fellowship
- Administrative Chief Resident
- Emory University School of Medicine, General Surgery Residency
- Emory University School of Medicine, M.D.
- Georgetown University, B.A.
- Major: Economics
It is a privilege to accompany women in their journey through breast cancer and breast reconstruction. The results that we achieve and the relationships that we build with our patients are incredibly gratifying.
Ximena Pinell. M.D.
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Board of Surgery
- District of Columbia
- State of Maryland
- State of Virginia
Posters and Presentations:
- Pinell-White X. Alternative Indications for Neurotoxins. Oral presentation, Georgia Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting; 2017 July 30; Greensboro, Ga.
- Pinell-White X, Losken A, Hart A, Freitas D, Carlson G, Styblo T. The Benefits on Margin Control of the Oncoplastic Reduction Approach to Breast Conservation Therapy, Oral presentation, Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons 2014 Annual Meeting; 2014 June 9; Nassau, Bahamas.
- Pinell-White X, Losken A, Hart A, Freitas D, Carlson G, Styblo T. Does Oncoplastic Surgery Facilitate Tumor Clearance? A Comparison of Breast Cancer Margins and Reexcisions in Breast Conservation and Oncoplastic Surgery, Oral presentation, Emory University Research Symposium; 2014 Apr 17; Atlanta, Ga.
- Pinell-White X., Kolegraff K, Carlson GW. Predictors of Contralateral Prophylactic Mastectomy and Impact on Breast Reconstruction, Poster session presented at: Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons 2013 Annual Meeting; 2013 June 1-5; Bonita Springs, Fl.
- Pinell-White X, Kapadia S, Losken A. The Management of Abdominal Contour Defects following TRAM Flap Breast Reconstruction. Poster session presented at: Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons 2013 Annual Meeting; 2013 June 1-5; Bonita Springs, Fl.
- Pinell-White X, Gruszynski M, Losken A. Ventral Hernia Repair after Bowel Surgery: Does GI Contamination Matter in the Era of Biologic Mesh? Poster session presented at: Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons 2013 Annual Meeting; 2013 June 1-5; Bonita Springs, Fl.
- Pinell-White X, Gruszynski M, Losken A. Ventral Hernia Repair after Bowel Surgery: Does GI Contamination Matter in the Era of Biologic Mesh? Poster session presented at: American Association of Plastic Surgeons 92nd Annual Meeting; 2013 April 20-23; New Orleans, La.
- Pinell XA, Kirkpatrick SH, Hawkins K, Mondry TE, Johnstone PA. Complete Decongestive Therapy for Secondary Lymphedema: Are Patients with Local Tumors Candidates? Paper presented at: 4th International Conference of the Society for Integrative Oncology; 2007 Nov 16; San Francisco, Ca.
- Hart AM, Duggal C, Pinell-White X, Losken A. A Prospective Randomized Trial of the Efficacy of Fibrin Glue, Triamcinolone Acetonide, and Quilting Sutures in Seroma Prevention after Latissimus Dorsi Breast Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017 Apr;139(4):854e-863e.
- Hart A, Funderburk CD, Chu CK, Pinell-White X, Halgopian T, Manning-Geist B, Carlson G, Losken A. The Impact of Diabetes Mellitus on Wound Healing in Breast Reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg. 2017 Mar;78(3):260-263.
- Pinell-White XA, Duggal C, Metcalfe D, Sackeyfio R, Hart AM, Losken A. Patient-Reported Quality of Life After Breast Reconstruction: A One-Year Longitudinal Study Using the WHO-QOL Survey. Ann Plast Surg. 2015 Aug;75(2):144-8.
- Pinell-White XA, Etra J, Newell M, Tuscano D, Shin K, Losken A. Radiographic Implications of Fat Grafting to the Reconstructed Breast. Breast J. 2015 Sep-Oct;21(5):520-5.
- Egro FM, Pinell-White X, Hart AM, Losken A. The use of reduction mammaplasty with breast conservation therapy: an analysis of timing and outcomes. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Jun;135(6):963e-971e.
- Losken A, Pinell-White X, Hodges M, Egro FM. Evaluating outcomes after correction of the breast conservation therapy deformity. Ann Plast Surg. 2015 Jun;74 Suppl 4:S209-13.
- Losken A, Pinell-White X, Hart AM, Freitas AM, Carlson GW, Styblo TM. The oncoplastic reduction approach to breast conservation therapy: benefits for margin control. Aesthet Surg J. 2014 Nov;34(8):1185-91.
- Hart AM, Pinell-White X, Egro FM, Losken A. The psychosexual impact of partial and total breast reconstruction: A prospective 1-year longitudinal study. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2014 Apr 10.
- Pinell-White XA, Gruszynski M, Losken A. Ventral hernia repair after bowel surgery: Does gastrointestinal contamination matter in the era of biologic mesh? Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2014 Jun;72(6):S150-2.
- Pinell-White XA, Kolegraff K, Carlson GW. Predictors of contralateral prophylactic mastectomy and the impact on breast reconstruction. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2014 Jun; 72(6):S153-7.
- Moyer HR, Pinell-White X, Losken A. The effect of radiation on acellular dermal matrix and capsule formation in breast reconstruction: Clinical outcomes and histologic analysis. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2014 Feb;133(2):214-21.
- Pinell-White XA, Kapadia SM, Losken A. The management of abdominal contour defects following TRAM flap breast reconstruction. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2014 Feb;34(2):264-71.
- Pinell X, Carlson GW. Trends in breast reconstruction: Patients, providers, and health care. Breast Journal. 2013 Sep;19(5):461-2.
- Losken A, Pinell XA, Sikoro K, Yezhelyev MV, Anderson E, Carlson GW. Autologous fat grafting in secondary breast reconstruction. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2011. May;66(5):518-22.
- Cohen AL, Naseri I, Pinell X, Sobol SE, Gorwitz R. Treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus pediatric head and neck infections: results of a national survey of otolaryngologists in the United States. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 Aug;39(4):468-73.
- Losken A, Nicholas CS, Pinell XA, Carlson GW. Outcomes evaluation following bilateral breast reconstruction using latissimus dorsi myocutaneous flaps. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2010 Jul;65(1):17-22.
- Singh KA, Pinell XA, Losken A. Is reduction mammaplasty a stimulus for weight loss and improved quality of life? Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2010 May;64(5):585-7.
- Losken A, Pinell XA, Eskenazi B. The benefits of partial versus total breast reconstruction for women with macromastia. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2010 Apr;125(4):1051-6.
- Pinell XA, Kirkpatrick SH, Hawkins K, Mondry TE, Johnstone PA. Manipulative therapy of secondary lymphedema in the presence of locoregional tumors. Cancer. 2008 Feb 15; 112(4):950-4.
- Antos J. Pinell X. Private Discounts, Public Subsidies: How the Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit Really Works. AEI Press: 2004.
- Administrative Chief
- Magna Cum Laude
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Cancer Research Training Award. National Cancer Institute
- Magna Cum Laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- John Carroll Scholar
- Omicron Delta Epsilon International Honor Society in Economics